The National Jazz Trio of Scotland release a new, free-to-download album, ‘Standards Vol VI’, with featured vocalist Aby Vulliamy.
The ten track effort is available, rather unconventionally, via a Dropbox download with a choice of mp3s or lossless AIFFs.
Its predecessor, ‘Standards Vol. V‘, was released in 2019, via Cologne-based label Karoke Kalk, and featured Babe’s Gerard Black on lead vocals.
Wells bills the ‘band’ as “Not Jazz. Not a trio. Not National. Not entirely Scottish”, but the album’s title is more accurate – the sixth in a series of releases from Bill Wells’ project, it features 10 ‘standards’ – including unique takes on songs by Donovan, The Bee Gees and The Beatles, and classic songwriting partnerships including Rodgers / Hart, Mercer / Carmichael, and Bacharach / David – the take on ‘The Look Of Love’ including a Dusty Springfield sample.
1. Catch The Wind (Leitch)
2. We Can Work It Out (Lennon / McCartney)
3. I Wish You Love (Beach / Chauliac / Trenet)
4. To Love Somebody (Gibb / Gibb)
5. Why Can’t I? (Rodgers / Hart)
6. Matchmaker, Matchmaker (Bock / Harnick)
7. Me And My Shadow (Jolson / Rose / Dreyer)
8. Skylark (Mercer / Carmichael)
9. The Look Of Love (Bacharach / David)
10. Careless Love (trad)
The album was recorded over the past year by Wells, in his own Loathsome Reels studio, with vocals recorded by Vulliamy at her own “Aby Road” setup in Yorkshire.
More at www.facebook.com/NJTOS